Homeowners and Renters

As a homeowner or renter, it is important to stay informed about potential flood risks and the things that you can do to protect your family and your home. There are numerous resources available for homeowners and individuals, to help improve your safety and readiness for flooding events.


Types of Insurance

Overland Flood Insurance

Overland flood insurance is a product that insures a home damaged by water that has entered through windows and doors from floods caused by heavy rainfall, overflowing lakes, ponds and rivers. It is not usually included in a typical home insurance policy and it must be purchased separately from your provider. Overland flood insurance has been available in Canada since 2015; however, many Canadian are not aware of it and many eligible homes do not have this important insurance coverage. More information from the Insurance Bureau of Canada: A GUIDE TO Residential Water Damage and Flood Insurance

Sewer Back Up Insurance

Sewer back-up insurance is another optional insurance product that covers the home against damage from flooding from unexpected back-up from the home’s sewers, septic pumps, and other pipers and drains.

Insurance for Renters

Insurance to protect against flooding and other water damage is also important for Canadians who rent their home. Often called “renters” or “tenant insurance”, many providers offer insurance options that cover renter’s personal belongs and other related costs.

The infographics provided below are useful resources for homeowners and renters looking to reduce their flood risks. These resources offer a number of tips, advice and information on property improvements, flood preparedness and insurance coverage related to flooding.

If you would like to know more about how you can reduce your risks, click here for a list of flood preparedness and recovery resources by province and territory.